Narration: 4.5 cups Speed: 1.3x
ONCE, SHE GOT AWAY
The body lying on a cold steel slab bears all the hallmarks of the Chicago Butcher. There’s a cruel slash across her throat, deep enough to sever the carotid artery, and a small crescent carved into her right breast. Her delicate features are painfully familiar to Ash Marcel, once a rising star in the Chicago PD. But though the victim resembles his former fiancée, Remi Walsh, he knows it’s not her.
BUT THIS TIME
Though Remi escaped a serial killer five years ago, her father died trying to save her. Grief and guilt caused her to pull away from the man she loved. Now Ash is back in her life, insisting that Remi is still in danger.
IT’S A DEAD END . . .
Someone is targeting women who look just like Remi. With or without a badge, Ash intends to unmask the Butcher. But the killer isn’t playing games any longer. He’s moving in, ready to finish what he started, and prove there’s nothing more terrifying than a killer’s obsession . . .
Going into The Intended Victim by Alexandra Ivy, I didn’t realize it was fourth in the Agency series, but it appears each has its own case and thankfully, I had no issues. Narrated by Jim Frangione the author has us hunting down a serial killer…
Caffeinated reasons to grab the Intended Victim…
The Chicago Butcher
- Five years ago the serial killer dubbed the “Chicago Butcher” terrorized the city until the murders abruptly stopped.
- Now it appears the butcher is back but he has changed his M.O. All the victims appear to resemble Remi Walsh, the victim who got away!
- Ash, a former police detective remembers the murders all to well. They cost him everything including the girl. He’s determined to keep her safe and stop the killer. If he is lucky he just might win back the girl.
- Remi Walsh lost her father at the hands of the Butcher and is determined to protect the man she loves.
- Ash’s brother Chicago PD Detective Jax Marcel is working the Chicago Butcher case and trying to keep his brother in check.
We get a second chance romance as Ash and Remi are reunited. He is there to protect her and hopes to solve the case. The romance was sweet, and as often happens tragedy tore them apart. The two felt genuine and I was rooting for them.
Ivy spun a well crafted mystery with plenty of twists and clues to keep both the characters and this listener guessing. The use of flashbacks and reemerging memories felt realistic as did the clues. The author threw in a couple of red herrings and possible suspects.
Jim Frangione narrates and quickly became the voice of these characters. His interpretation of Ash reminded me of a private dick in a black and white film. His female voices were well crafted and his tone and pacing enhanced the tale.
If you enjoy mysteries with a side dish of romance, The Intended Victim was a clever listen. I enjoyed it and hope to go back and listen to the previous Agency audiobooks.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.